The first step in the preapproval process is ideally a conversation, where I can answer your initial questions, and you can have a chance to share with me some details about what you want to accomplish as well as any special details about your specific needs.
Then it is time to complete your loan application – and that enables me to fully assess your financial situation and make suggestions that are appropriate for you. The complete loan application also enables me to provide accurate rate quotes which are based on your credit score. You can begin your application online.
Here is list of the documentation generally required at application:
If you are salaried:
- Most recent 2 years of Federal Tax Returns
- Most recent 2 years of W-2 Forms
- Most recent paystubs covering the previous 30 days
If you are self-employed, a contract employee, or a part-time employee:
- Provide two years tax returns.
If you own any part of a business or partnership:
NOTE: If you have any Schedule E, K-1 Income, then you own part of a business or partnership.
- Provide two years of K-1 Forms
- If you own 25% or more of any business or partnership, we will need 2 years of tax returns for the business.
If you are retired:
- Provide your most recent Social Security Award Letter
- Provide your award letters for any pensions you receive
- Provide 2 months of complete asset statements (or your most recent quarterly statement) for your IRAs if you are taking distributions. Provide all numbered pages.
For all borrowers:
- Provide a copy of your driver’s license.
- Provide two months of bank statements for each bank, stock and mutual fund account that you will utilize for your down payment and closing costs.. Provide all numbered pages.
- If you own rental property, please provide rental agreements and two years tax returns.
- Provide a copy of your divorce decree if you pay or receive maintenance or child support. If you will use maintenance and or child support as qualifying income, the payments must continue for at least 3 years. You will need to provide evidence that you have received the payments on time for 6 to 12 months (varies).
- If you are separated, provide:
- A copy of a recorded separation agreement if you have one.
- Your Free-Trader Agreement.
- If you are NOT a US citizen, provide a copy of your green card (front & back).
- If you are NOT a permanent resident alien, provide us with your H-1 or L-1 visa.
How to safely get your documents to me:
- The BEST method: Once you have completed your secure loan application, you will be able to securely upload your documents through our client loan portal. Or…
- Email me ONLY IF the documents are password protected. Email me the password in a separate email.
- Fax directly to my eFax number: 919-869-1510.
- Snail mail – only takes 1-2 days in Triangle, not much more from further away.
- Drop off copies at my office (directions to the office)
What happens next?
Once you have completed your preapproval, I’ll be able to tell you your maximum purchase price based on your preferred financing strategy, and I will prepare a Loan Summary that will outline your down payment, closing costs, and monthly payment for your top of range purchase price, and I will let your realtor know that you are preapproved.
When you are ready to make an offer, I will write a preapproval letter specific to the property on which you make an offer, which your realtor will provide to the sellers with your offer to purchase.
We can’t lock your interest rate until you have a fully signed purchase contract, so please send me your contract as soon as you have it.
Then we can lock your rate, order your appraisal, and get your loan application signed. My team and I will work with you, your underwriter, closing attorney, appraiser, insurance agent and realtor to obtain your Loan Approval.
On closing day, you will meet with your attorney to sign the final loan documents, and the home is yours as soon as the deed is recorded!